Friday 17 April 2015

Give Me Your Answer, Do, chapter 4. A Rowansford story.

“I’m going to be out until 4 pm – shopping, lunch and then this tiresome meeting this afternoon, but if I don’t go heavens only knows what ideas people will come up with. Last time someone suggested having a crȇche so that mothers could bring their young children with them! We don’t want a background of bawling babies.”
“But wouldn’t that mean more people could come? You said you were getting low on members…”
“They can leave their children with someone else. Now what are you going to do?”
“Oh, the garden. There’s a lot to do in it at this time of the year…”
“Very well. And the kitchen needs tidying too – and have you made the bed?” Jack Harleston changed into his gardening clothes, made the bed and went to tidy up the kitchen, sighing slightly. The “mess” consisted of a single milk jug that needed to be washed up and put away. The rest of the kitchen was its usual pristine, sterile self. Jack sighed again. He missed the days when Jonnie had still been at home and the house had been a little more lively. Still, with Cynthia out of the way, at least Jack could phone his daughter for a chat.
“Jonnie. How are you my dear?”
“Dad! How nice to hear from you. Huge, hot, tired, irritable…you name it, I’m doing it.” But there was laughter in her voice.
“Mum’s out, I take it?”
“Yes, all day.”
“Then come round and see me. Come for lunch. Jonathan and Lorraine would love to see you too.”
Why not, Jack thought.
“Love to. I’ll be around at about one.” He’d better crack on with the garden until then! “Jonathan! She looks beautiful! You’ve done an amazing job there.” Hearing the noise from the garage, Jack had tried there first. He was seriously impressed by the car – last time he’d seen it, there had still been parts missing.
“And that paint finish is so good.”
“It’s all in the preparation,” Jonathan said, smiling a little – it had been a catchphrase of the woodwork teacher when they’d both been at school together.
“Old Stonehouse knew a thing or two,” Jack admitted. “It’s the same in the garden – prepare the soil right, and the plants grow.” “Tell you who we had round for a meal the other day – talking of old school days – and that was Archie and his Flora. They were asking after you. Do you remember the time you and Archie and I were trying out his patent apple-stealer in the Barden’s orchards?”
“Yes! And it gripped the branch and wouldn’t let go, and Archie said we couldn’t leave it behind because he’d borrowed the parts from his mum’s kitchen and had to put them back! And so we got caught. I still don’t know how come he didn’t pass the exam for the grammar school – he was always the brightest of the three of us at primary school.”
“Total mystery,” Jonathan agreed. “Still, he did okay thanks to old Harry Tostead taking him on. I think Jonnie’s inside somewhere. Shall we go and find her? Lorraine’s out, I’m afraid...” As Jack followed Jonathan into the house, he sighed again. Archie had been an old friend of his, and Jack had liked his Flora too – but Cynthia looked down on Flora because of where she’d grown up, and the way she dressed, and down on Archie because he hadn’t gone to the grammar school (and Griselda Tostead had been beyond the pale because her father, Harry, had been illegitimate). Once she’d married Jack, she’d driven a subtle wedge into his old friendships. And now that she’d fallen out with Jonnie, Cynthia didn’t even want him to see his daughter. Well, there were limits as to what he’d stand for! And in his mild heart, a spark of rebellion grew. “Jenny, you must be one of the few women in town who isn’t about to give birth!”
“Probably because I was eight months pregnant anyway when we had the power cut!”
Lorraine had gone round to Rattlesden House to see if Jenny Waterfold wanted any of the plants she would be splitting up soon. “Tell you what, though – I wish there was some good child care available. We could really do with me working part-time at the moment, with a fifth mouth to feed.” Jenny was busy feeding the mouth as she spoke.
“And you’ll understand how expensive these old houses can be to maintain – but we can’t sell it! There’s allus been Waterfolds at Rattlesden House…”
Lorraine laughed, and agreed with Jenny.
“What’s Jonnie going to do? Has she found anything? All the places I looked at, they don’t want you part time: you have to pay for a full-time place even if you don’t use it. And then I’m earning nothing.” “She’s given up work. She never liked that job anyway – it was a bit on the soul-destroying side for her, I think. And she’ll think about what next in a little while – she really didn’t like working in an office, shunting figures around, though she was competent enough at it.”
“So why did she do it?”
“Oh – her mother pushed her into it. You know what Cynthia Harleston’s like.”
“Only too well! I suggested we started a crȇche at our monthly meetings, to get more younger women coming. Especially as there’ll be a lot of women on maternity leave at the moment. And more interesting topics for the talks as well. Would she have it? Oh no! There’s another committee meeting this afternoon, but I’m quitting. I’ve had enough.”
“That’s a real shame.”
“I’m sick of fighting against the odds. Now, what plants have you got? Over the summer, my other four have – shall we say, made inroads – on some of my borders.” “Dad, what made you marry Mum?”
This wasn’t the sort of question Jonnie would normally have asked, but having heard some of the things her mother had been saying recently, it just popped out. And normally Jack wouldn’t have answered so truthfully – but Jonathan reminding him of the friends he’d lost had opened up something inside him.
“The girl I really loved turned me down. And not for someone else – I mean I could have understood that: I’m nothing special. But she just didn’t want me. And then your mother came along – and she was so determined. I think she married me – I don’t remember proposing, but suddenly, there we were, planning a wedding.”
He paused and smiled at Jonnie.
“But if I hadn’t married her, I’d never have had you. And you’ve been the best thing in my life ever.” “Oh Dad, that’s a lovely thing for you to say.” Jonnie had to close her eyes against the sudden tears.
“And I’ve enjoyed the grandchildren too – what I’ve been allowed to see of them.” His voice was suddenly tart. “Not your fault, my dear. Do you know, I think I’m going to make a much bigger effort to get to know this one.”
He didn’t say anything else, but Jonnie was surprised. Dad planning to rebel? This was something new. “I’d better go now – I’ll go back via the garden centre and pick some stuff up.” He didn’t say: to account for me being out, but they both knew what he meant.
They left the room and crossed the landing together, past Charlie’s art space.
“I like this picture of Charlie’s.”
“It’s good, isn’t it? She’s done it for Matthew to give to Bryony after the baby’s born.” “Well, goodbye, whoever you are. I shall look forward to meeting you soon.” Jack patted his daughter’s bump gently.
“And you take care of yourself my dear.”
Oh, David, Jonathan and Lorraine do that very well! Lorraine will be sorry she missed you.”
“Give my best regards to her. We’ll arrange things a little more in advance next time.” “Charlie…” Earlier on, Jonnie had walked in on the end of yet another spat between Charlie and Daisy, and nearly been knocked over by Daisy storming out of the room. She’d decided to try to appeal to Charlie’s better nature – at least she had one!
“Charlie – when Daisy starts having a go at you, couldn’t you just let it ride? For the sake of peace?”
But Charlie had done a lot of growing up over the last year.
“Mum. It’s not me starting anything. I’m not winding Daisy up. But I’m not going to just sit there and – and be her punch-bag either. If she starts in on me, I’m fighting back. I’m not having her think she can do and say whatever she likes to me and get away with it. I’ve had enough of those games – please wear these horrible clothes to keep Grandma H sweet, while Daisy looks great in hers. And don’t make a fuss, there’s a good girl.” Lorraine was smitten to the heart.
“Oh, Charlie, I can’t believe I was so mean to you.” She hugged her – with some difficulty, as the bump got in the way!
“It’s okay, Mum,” Charlie said, her voice a bit muffled. “But I’m not doing it any more. I’m not starting anything – and I won’t either – but…” “You’re going to stand up for yourself. I know. I wish my dad and I had been better at doing that. Especially Dad.”
Jonnie looked so sad that it was Charlie’s turn to have her feelings turned over.
She paused for a moment, wanting to make her mother feel better, flattered that Jonnie had been open with her in a new way, talking to her almost as if she was an equal.
“But Grandpa H is lovely! I wish we saw more of him – I’d like to show him all my paintings and see what he thinks of them.” Jonnie’s face lightened slightly.
“Mum,” Charlie went on, totally changing the subject. “Have you ever thought of getting a different hairstyle? Maybe after the baby’s born, as a pick-me-up? It could be my birthday present to you.” Daisy was just back from work, and had gone in search of Jonathan who was, predictably enough, polishing up his pride and joy. Her grandpère was the only person Daisy really felt she could talk to at the moment – and the only person she could be at least partly honest with. She never felt like he was judging her and finding her lacking.
“Grandpère, why do you always say preparation is everything?”
This wasn’t why she’d come in search of him, and they both knew it, but he humoured her.
“If I hadn’t prepared the metal so well, this paint would be peeling off, would be lumpy, not all smooth like it is. You saw the workmen when they were doing the house as well – they got rid of all the loose plaster, filled in the holes…Preparation is about seventy per cent of the job.”
“Seventy per cent? That’s like, massive!”
“That’s the time you need to allow. But – this isn’t why you’re here. I marked the practice paper…” “Parts of it you did very well on. You’ve really grasped area, for instance.”
Daisy didn’t tell him that she’d had to come to grips with that working out how much wallpaper and paint she needed!
“And you’re fine with number when you’ve got a calculator to hand – but the non-calculator paper was a bit of a train wreck. You know what you should be doing with the numbers, which is three-quarters of the battle, but you’re making mistakes. When’s your re-take?”
“Two weeks into term.”
“Then you’ve only got four weeks left. You can do this, Daisy, but you’re really going to have to work and concentrate.”
“But I’m in work lots at the moment!” Daisy wailed.
“Perfect place to practise number. I know the till does it all for you, but try and beat it. You know the total – say £16:93 – and they’re handing you a £20 note. What’s the change going to be?”
“£4 and…7 pence.”
“Nope. Why not? If you keep analysing your wrong answers, you’ll find out where you’re going wrong. Now, algebra…” Up in her bedroom – and out of those awful work clothes – Daisy picked up her work and thought about what Jonathan had said – and what he’d asked her.
Did she want to go down a form? No, definitely not.
Was she prepared to put in the work to stop that happening? He’d left her to think about that one, and now she was.
“I think that you’re capable of it, Daisy.”
“Grandmère doesn’t.”
“What did she say?”
“Why do you make no effort…?”
“Your grandmère will never lie to you. If she had thought you couldn’t do it, she would have said: Daisy, for you this is too hard. For Charlie, no, but for you, yes.” It had been a good impersonation of Lorraine, and she’d laughed at it as Jonathan had meant her to do. The bars had gone from her window, as her dad had promised. It had been painted too, inside and out, and did look much better. Tonight, re-doing the test paper, Daisy really concentrated on her maths, trying to work out why she was making the same mistake again and again – and suddenly the answers fell into place.
“Grandpère was right! I can do this! And Grandmère was right too. Why did I think I couldn’t? Who told me I was too dumb to get it?” “Charlie thinks I should get a new hairstyle. In fact she said she’d buy it for me as a birthday present.”
“That was nice of her. After all, her new hairstyle transformed things for her. Go for it – there’s a big formal do coming up at work in a few months’ time. You can look amazing at it!” “Mind you,” David went on, his tone more intimate,” I think you look wonderful at any time. And I also think the next room to decorate is this one! Shall we try and do it before the baby arrives? You and I can sleep somewhere else – and you won’t have to lift a finger.”
“What – not even to flip through some paint sample cards?”
“Well, maybe that…” Daisy had no idea her mother liked such vivid, vibrant colours! Their bedroom was finished – and Daisy had very helpfully taken tea, coffee, snacks and cold drinks up to her father and grandfather at regular intervals – and carefully watched exactly what they were doing. She reckoned she could now definitely have a good go at her own room. And everyone else was out all day today. She’d put on her ruined clothes and tied her hair up securely – she’d seen how much mess sanding made! And all she’d have to take out of her room would be the bedclothes, mattress, chair and bedside table – she could do that. Time to make a start! Daisy had never worked so hard in her life! But she’d almost finished sanding down the woodwork. She’d cleaned up, put the electric sander away again, hidden all the used sanding sheets in a bag at the bottom of the dustbin – she was going to do this, and all by herself too. And crack that maths exam – she’d better get up early tomorrow morning to do some more revision for it. “How was your day at school?”
“Ooof! Second day back, and they’re already piling on the homework! What about you? No sign of Buster yet?”
“It won’t be much longer! For one thing, if I get any bigger, I’ll explode. But what I really wanted to say was – I think you were totally right about standing up to Daisy. She’s actually been much better recently: did you notice how helpful she was when Dad and Jonathan were doing our room?”
“Maybe there’s hope for her yet! After all, it can’t have been because there was anything in it for her.” Charlie was still sore about the way Daisy had sabotaged her chances in the Art Competition, and Jonnie couldn’t blame her, though she wished she could find a way to reconcile her daughters. But that looked pretty remote. Maybe the new baby would bring them closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment