Monday 28 March 2016

Two Houses, Alike in Dignity Chapter 2 A Rowansford story

“There, I think that’s everything you asked for.”
“Oh thankyou, Luke. That will save us having to drive to the shops later on.”
Luke thought of mentioning on-line shopping, but decided not to bother!
“Do you want a cup of tea? Have you got time?”
“Easily. Yes please, Mum.” And, looking at his mother, Luke saw her eyes light up with pleasure. You’ve neglected your parents, said a little voice in his head. Picking up his mug of tea, Luke noticed a child’s drinking cup on the bench. That probably meant that Anita had been round earlier today with her little daughter Amy. Good job their paths hadn’t crossed. His mouth hardened at the thought of Anita. She’d been the one who’d…
“Who’d what?” said that voice in his head. “Shown you that Lucilla was only after your money?” Lucilla. The memory still hurt. All that loveliness, all that warmth, and all a sham. “Oh good, tea,” Jacob said, coming in and pulling out a chair. “Come to give me a hand Luke?”
“He’s got his good clothes on,” Alice pointed out, but Luke was still feeling guilty.
“I can change. I’ve still got work clothes upstairs here, haven’t I? Unless you’ve snaffled them yourself.”
Alice smiled at him. “Look at the new bedspread I made for us while you’re up there. I’m really enjoying sewing again.”
“I like the curtains you’ve made for in here. And you’ve really transformed that old settee.” Luke stepped into his parents’ bedroom to admire the new bedding – and it did look good – but what struck him the most was how shabby the room looked. Why hadn’t they done something about smartening it up?
“Because they haven’t had the strength,” said that annoying voice in his head. “And where have you been? Running away…” “Luke. Don’t go off again, will you? I don’t think Alice could cope. Not losing you twice.” His dad’s voice and words were gentle enough, loving enough, but Luke’s newly awakened conscience writhed again.
“No. I won’t.” He changed the subject hastily. “So what’s with this Waterfolds won’t speak to Battisfords thing?” Over lunch, Alice told the story, starting with Ezekiel Battisford and Jeremiah Waterfold both trying to buy the same piece of land.
“Old Ezekiel never forgave Jeremiah for getting it, my grandmother said. Though the land was next to Jeremiah’s fields and a long way from Nedging Tye. It made sense for the Waterfolds to have it, but Ezekiel was a grasping man.” “But surely that’s ancient history? I mean why can’t Claire Battisford be friends with David Waterfold? Patrick and Jenny Waterfold won’t object will they?”
“No. But Albert Battisford will. He’s an odd man. I wouldn’t rent our fields to him when we decided to stop farming them ourselves. I didn’t say so to him – I just fixed it up with the Denhams and didn’t ask for any other offers.”
“Go on,” said Luke, intrigued. His dad didn’t normally do under-the-radar deals.
“I didn’t trust him to draw up a fair contract, or to stick to one. He’ll always try to weasel things to his advantage.” Washing up the dishes after lunch, Luke thought about the piece of news that he hadn’t told his parents yet. But if he applied for this job in Rowansford, and especially if he came and stayed with them for a few months while he looked for a house here, he’d have to meet up with Anita gain. Anita. Single mother with no sign of a father, living in a little cottage up on The Edge. Anita, who’d wormed her way into his parents’ affections – her and her little girl. And who, he had to admit, had cheered them up quite a lot. Anita, who had had the nerve to say that she’d been better for his parents than he had. Anita, who had been blunt with him in a way that no-one else had dared to be after Sarah had died. Although he didn’t want to admit it, the voice in his head that pointed out his failings often sounded quite like hers. “Hey mum, the weirdest thing happened at the library today.”
“How weird? So weird that you can’t manage to lay the table for me like I asked? Did an alien suck out your brains?” Jenny made suitable sound effects. Both parents had to be so serious professionally that they tended to be very silly indeed when alone with the family. It was catching.
“I’ll do it in a minute, honest. At warp speed too. No, I met this girl with amazing green eyes that sucked the heart out of my body.” David got up and went over to find the cutlery, though at something less than warp speed. Jenny relented.
“So tell me about her, this blonde who has bewitched you with one glance from her sea-green eyes…”
“Actually, she has dark hair. Raven tresses framing her alabaster skin.” Lucy had been reading bits from Anne of Green Gables out loud to him. “Yet withal a quiet sadness sits about her…” He wasn’t good at English and History for nothing. Jenny knew her eldest son though. Underneath all that talk, there was something serious going on. With some effort – and a lot of help from Patrick! – she managed to get some time alone with David over a late night hot chocolate.
“This is the good stuff! I’m not making it for everyone, but seeing as it’s just you and me…”
Alone and uninterrupted he was, as usual, ready to talk. “I mean, you know Mr and Mrs Bardon. They’re really nice. And they don’t do not speaking to people or anything like that. But they acted like me talking to this girl was a big deal. Just because she said her name was Claire Battisford. I said you and dad wouldn’t mind…” He gazed intot he depths of his mug, suddenly looking much younger and more vulnerable than he had in a while. “No. Never. Of course not.” Jenny watched his face lighten again. “Let me ask your dad if he knows anything about this. You’re right – that’s not like the Bardons, so they must have had a reason. But I trust you – we trust you – to choose your friends well. She’s welcome here any time you like.”
“Thanks mum.” “So he’s a Waterfold,” thought Claire, as she closed her eyes that night. She’d heard her great-grandfather on the subject of the Waterfolds too many times to be in any doubt about his opinions. “So what? I liked him – he was friendly. And I’m not going to let great-grandfather rule my life the way he rules Mum’s life. So there!”

No comments:

Post a Comment