Friday 12 March 2021

Changing Seasons. Autumn IV, part 3.

Autumn IV, part 3 “Now what?” Janet had immense faith in her grandmother’s ability to sort everything out.
“This week is cleaning, tidying and getting settled in week. Next week you start school. Want to see inside or outside first?” “All of this is ours?” Rick was a bit overwhelmed by the size of it all. He’d grown up in a company house in a company town – three bedrooms, smallish yard, playground nearby that wasn’t as big as this. And now – all this openness and wilderness!
“Always was,” his dad said. “We’ve always owned this. Your grandmother wouldn’t sell it.” “Wouldn’t have fetched anything anyway,” Bess pointed out. “And if you think I was going to let that thieving company get their hands on this place just so’s they could tear it down like all the other buildings they got their hands on…” Bess pulled the big old key out of her pocket and unlocked the front door.
“Come on, Molly – you might as well see what you’ve let yourself in for. You go first.” But there was joy in her voice, and Molly could hear it. Homecoming joy.
“Love that hall table with the telephone on it,” she said, laughing herself. “Shame it doesn’t work.” “Ah, but it does,” Bess said, following Molly in. “Dial 01, and you’ll get the Art Gallery, 02, and you’ll get the Old Forge and Marianna and Lachlan. Or most likely one of their children. We’re 03. Can’t dial anyone else yet, but Fred Enstein’s son is working on it. Sooner or later we’ll all be able to talk to each other by phone.” The two women explored the house together. Rick and Janet had voted for outside first and were off with their father. For Bess it was a homecoming, no questions asked, and Molly too found an odd sense of welcome. Their last house had been a company house – not hers. Not her own kingdom. This place – it felt different somehow. Despite the dirt and grime and mess. She tried to explain a little of how she was feeling to Bess – and her surprise at feeling it.
“Know what you mean,” Bess said. “I felt it myself when I came here as Joe’s bride – his mother was still alive then. Working in the kitchen with her…there’s been a lot of women loving this place, taking care of it. Never said this to Joe, as he’d have thought it a bit fanciful, but I always felt like the house was grateful.”
“Yes. It feels like the house itself is pleased to see us.” “Other thing is, that company house was never yours. This one is. Mind you, we’re going to have our work cut out, you and I.”
They’d gone upstairs to see which bedroom looked the most suitable for that night. From the window Molly saw Rick and Janet heading into the big barn with John.
“You up for this?”
“Oh yes,” said Molly. “What was this?” Janet asked.
“The milking shed. Where the cows came to get milked.”
“Given milk?”
“No. They were giving the milk . We got the milk from them.”
“Oh! Is that why there’s a picture of a cow on the milk carton? I thought it was because cows drank milk. Like kittens do.”
How had his children grown up so ignorant of where their food came from? “And what was this for?”
“Horses. If the weather was bad, or if a mare was foaling…”
“Foaling?” It was Rick asking the questions this time, but this probably was a new word for him.
“Having a baby horse. A colt or a filly.”
“Does cheese come from horses then? Is that why it’s called Philly cheese?” “Well, it’s not quite clean enough to eat off, but it’s clean enough to sleep on,” Molly said after she and Bess had done some serious cleaning, mopping, sweeping, scrubbing…
Bess nodded. “We can’t do the whole place all at once. Bit by bit, one or two rooms at a time. Next stop’s the kitchen – we need that room working.” “There’s a room in her as big as our old kitchen-diner just for jamjars!” Janet said in disbelief.
“Mind the hole in the floor,” her grandmother called back. “That’s the pantry. And one day it’ll be full of jars of preserves, jams, jellies, pickles, relishes – all the ways of keeping food over the winter.”
“This house is huge,” Rick said, “Can we go and explore it all?”
“Of course. Just keep an eye out for the holes in the floorboards.” “You okay with this?” John asked his wife, but he could see that her eyes were sparkling with determination.
“Oh yes. There might be the odd phase where I think why did we ever start this, but I’m up for it. This house deserves to be rescued.” The telephone rang, startling them all. Very loudly: the oil drum acted as an echo chamber. Bess went out to answer it.
“I think we need a proper table for this,” she said at the end of the brief conversation. “That was Leo Hunter inviting us all to come and have dinner at their place tonight. I said that was real good of him and thank you very much, we’d be there.” They were going to need a woodpile for the stove. These dead trees were going to need to be cut down. John figured he knew what he’d be doing first! Molly and his mother were busy planning how to get the kitchen sorted out, and what they absolutely had to buy. Rick and Janet were still exploring the house, by torchlight now, finding its size hard to believe. This was going to be hard work – but it might well be satisfying too. Time to head over to the art gallery before it was too dark to see how to get there. “So where are you up to in the grand getting-everyone-connected project? I know you’ve got three phones working, you’ve checked all the wires for our words to run along – that was Taylor’s description – and we’ve got enough working phones and more to pour our words into.”
“I like Taylor’s description! It’s a neat idea, pouring our words into the telephone and having them pour out the other end.”
“Not bad for a five year old. She’s fascinated by how things work.”
“It sounds like in she’s seeing it as water in her mind. We have another problem. The voltage levels are too low to get the signal to travel to this side of the town.” Honey tried to put on a yes-I-understand-you face. “Go on,” she said encouragingly. Talking problems through with someone else – even if they didn’t understand – sometimes helped.
“It’s the original voltage transformer. The internal insulation’s broken down over the years.”
“How can I explain this to Taylor? She’ll want to know.” “Maybe if you told her it’s as though there’s not enough push? Not enough power…”
“Is there a solution?”
“Oh yes. This isn’t a new problem. If we installed a repeater – halfway between town and the far side would be best. But it’s not the sort of thing I can knock up with some scrap and a bit of help from Lachlan’s welding torch.” “Why don’t you talk to Old Tench about it? I know he’d like to see this happen. And he knows everybody and can talk to everyone too. I’m at work, and you’re working too this coming week: it’d take us forever to canvass everyone, and he could probably do it in a day. Many heads are better than one. And now, how about an early night?” “Well, I got the ceiling done with the leftover paint from the gym. And I painted the bed with the leftover paint from the fridge. But even I can tell that this bedding doesn’t go. I’m earning this week – how about some new bedding?” And seeing as Maddie was in bed with a nasty fluey cold, she wouldn’t be able to suggest something else. So often, when he’d earned a bit of money, she seemed to think of something she really needed.
“Sounds lovely. I wish I earned more…” And Honey had never thought that before. “Wait a minute. Some of what I earn is in the form of credit at Minnie’s. I bet we haven’t spent all of it – when we first came, Minnie kept saying I was nicely in credit. And even though we’re feeding Maddie as well, that can’t have made that much difference. I’ll go and ask Minnie how much we’ve got. We could buy the paint for this room, for the windows, maybe even bedside rugs. You never know!” “You never know indeed. What were you saying about an early night?” There were still faint streaks of pink in the sky as Frank called on Old Tench on his way to work, to tell him about the current hiccup in the phone saga. Honey had been right – Old Tench was the perfect person to talk to everyone about the problem. And he came away in a sort of excited daze.
“Iffen you need something, then just go get it organised. Let me know the figures, but I ain’t been spendin’ hardly any of my pension. It’s all just sittin’ there, waitin’. To be honest, I was havin’ real problems workin’ out what to do with it all. Can’t think of a better use for it. ‘Sides, I’ve seen what you’ve done so far for next to nothin’ and that you’ve been real generous with your time. You get this here repeatery thing sorted, and iffen it’s not too pricy, I’ll be footin’ the bill for it. Reckon you know what you’re doing and you ain’t gonna let yourself be cheated none.”
Frank couldn’t tell if it was the thought of getting the job done or the old man’s praise of him that had made him happier. “You won that? On the back of Old Pete? That’s amazing!”
“Thanks,” Sal said. She and Clara had clicked from the start. They both recognised and respected single-mindedness!
“Want to come and see the stud then?”
“Yes. And then you can come and see my house too.” “Enjoy yourselves,” Chas said. “I’m going over to the gym – I want to get in a workout and I want to do some work upstairs there as well. Clara, do you want to stay for dinner? You can phone Marcus and Annette!”
“Stop for a sleepover, do,” Sal said. "I haven’t had a sleepover in ages.”
“I’ve never done one,” Clara said. “But I’d like to. And no babies waking me up either!”
“Guess I’ll be sleeping on the settee then,” Chas said.
“Too right, big brother! Don’t worry, Clara – I’ll change his smelly sheets for you!” “So this is it. We’re going to live in this original small house first – it won’t cost too much to do up. And we’re buying a mare soon, to breed from Old Pete hopefully – Artie’s said he won’t charge us stud fees, because if that foal’s good then it’ll raise Old Pete’s value as a stud horse anyway. And maybe another horse to school as well – we’ll see what we can afford. Want to see inside?” “Okay, the word that springs to mind is basic.”
“Yeah, but I’ve heard you’re a dab hand with a paintbrush. We could give you riding lessons in return?”
“No thanks! Not my thing at all. But I’ll think of something.” Sal followed her friend upstairs. Next they’d go and see Clara’s house, do a bit of shopping…girl stuff. This was nice. “Chas?” Sal said, in answer to Clara’s question. “He wants to make a success of the stud.”
Clara nodded. She’d noticed the single-mindedness there too. Seemed to be a family trait.
“Yes, I think he will get married some day, but there’s no-one on the scene at the moment. It’ll be someone who’s as sold on horses as he is! If I’m still living here when that happens, then I’ll have this house for mine, and he and his wife can have the main house. But we have a five year plan to fulfil first!” “This looks fantastic! And you did all this yourself? Can I have lessons?”
Clara was flattered. “Come and see the bedroom – that was the hardest to do, the wallpaper in there.” “I’d want to be living here right now.”
“I did try it for a couple of nights. Marcus and Annette pleaded with me to go back. Three children waking in the night and only two adults. The twins wake Mary sometimes, and if you can settle her back down straight away, she drops off again no problem. But they were dealing with a twin each – and poor Mary has got herself into a right state by the time they could get to her. I couldn’t say no! As soon as the twins start sleeping through reliably though, I’ll move in here. Shall we go to Minnie’s and get some chocolate?” “Hey, you’ve got your fruit and veg stand done!”
“That’s right. Real smart, isn’t it? Lucy’s Mike made it for me with some scrap wood Susie’s Dan found. Some of the produce if from Marcus and Annette – well, you’ll know that, Clara – as much of the rest as I could get is local grown stuff, from farms round Hillside and Newboro’ way. You two after some nice healthy fruit then?”
“No, we’re after some nice unhealthy chocolate, thanks Minnie. Where have you hidden it?” “You know, it’s not normally chocolate that’s on the top shelf,” Clara said, teasing Minnie.
“That was a special request from Marianna. If the children don’t see it…”
“What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve over,” Sal chimed in. “I love Toblerone. Definitely that.” “Mind the bucket. The roof’s leaking. Which it shouldn’t be, like I pointed out to Dan. Said he’d come and have a look at it sometime soon, but Susie phoned me up last night and said he’s down with the same bug that Maddie’s got from the sounds of it. Think she must have picked it up in Newboro’ when she went over there. Good thing I didn’t catch it, because she was in the very next day with a real important letter, she said. Anyway, Dan’ll sort this roof out for me – I need a new roof for the paint shop too. But I know why that one’s leaking – it’s just so old. Dan did me a patch job, but I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and reroof it…” “Thanks, Minnie. What shall we do next, Clara?”
“We could go and see Patience. She just loves having extra adults around! And I don’t think you’ve seen much of her yet, have you? With six pre-school children she’s a bit tied…”
“Sounds good to me! And this bar’s big enough to share with her, easily.”

Frank, Honey, Maddie and house were made for me by Hidehi as a lovely gift.
I’ve tweaked them slightly to fit the scenery of Two Lakes, so if you’re going to play them, they won’t look quite like this. I’ve tweaked Maddie’s personality too…
Link here for the house:
https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9351879
And for the family:
https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9351878

Woodside Barns (the stud) is by Cyclone Sue at TSR.

The chocolate's by Sandy at ATS3

I'd like to thank a work colleague of my husband's for his help with the technical details of the telephone system. Any technical errors are entirely mine!

3 comments:

  1. My gloomy morning has just been brightened ... even though my cuppa has gone cold again 😃. But then that's better than tea ending all over my laptop ... f/philly cheese indeed 🤣
    Please keep playing, taking awesome screenshots and writing even though you are busy in RL ... I can hardly wait for the next chapter 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great chapter! The philly cheese comment made me smile. Nice to see Clara and Sal getting along because it's good for both of them. Also nice seeing a new family moving in because the more, the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bess's house definitely has character and tons of potential! With it being a large home soon each child will have his and her own room, in a lovely very stylish home! Hopefully, John likes raising livestock.. Good thing Frank has a credit with Minnie's store, that way he and Honey can have a nice room.. It's great that Clara has another friend to hang out with.. Hopefully, old Tench's money ends up in the right hands.. Fantastic Chapter!!

    ReplyDelete