Wednesday 13 June 2018

A Nice Quiet Life. Chapter 2

Chapter 2 Hey man, like all I want is a nice quiet life. And this hidden place in the woods – it suits me down to the ground. Like, literally. I can let the music make me fly, like a seagull over the ocean. And sleeping next to the ground – like, man, it irons out the kinks in your soul. Food? Hey, I can catch it, dig it up, pick it off the trees. And I play for people to hear, with a jar in front of me. That takes care of the extras that don’t grow on trees.
You can see where I sleep, but what about the um…er…?
That cool cat lady who owns this field, she let me build a composting toilet. So my um…er…goes back into that ground and makes it, like, richer man. It’s all part of the great circle of life. I do a few odd jobs for her now and then. Like I built this really cool castle for her cats out of scrap timber. Man, those cats loved it. They were, like, I’m the king of the castle here. And I play, like I said. I make people happy. Well most, anyway. Like there’s normally someone reading who’d rather I wasn’t there. But most people – they’re cool with it. A little music brightens their day. And I’m good. Better still on my sweet new guitar. Briar Rose, I call her – the only lady friend I need. I even changed my look just for her. And man, after being here for a couple of years now, I know, like everyone in this town. And they all know me. That’s the Romanos for instance – little Orlando wants to be an astronaut when he grows up. I tell Paola, let him dream big. Even Marcello Stefani – the original cool cop – he likes my music too. And he warns me if the Mayor’s around. Now there’s someone who doesn’t like to hear my lovely Briar Rose singing her little heart out. But hey, I figure every town needs its minstrel. And that’s me. “Come and meet me at my grandmother’s,” Marcello mutters as he passes me in the square. “Tonight, after I’ve been to football.”
Like it’s some cloak-and-dagger thing. But I go anyway. Hey, he’s my friend. And his grandmother makes a mean bolognaise. But she’s away. This is like weird, man. And so’s Marcello. He’s all mutter, mutter, like he’s a spy.
“I told the guys I was just swinging by her place to check it out, and I’d join them for a drink in a moment. Listen, Blue, you’re in trouble, or will be pretty soon.” “Me? But like, man, what have I done wrong?”
“Nothing. Or I’d have busted you for it, friend or no friend. It’s the Mayor. He’s decided you’re a blot on the landscape and you have to go. They’re turning you out of that field next week – he dug up some old by-law. You’ll get the letter tomorrow.” “And you can’t be homeless and busk. I’d definitely have to bust you for that. And I guess I’ve got used to your caterwauling round the streets. So listen – I have a plan. Only you never heard it from me. Capisci?”
Si, ho capito. And I listened. I didn’t want me and my lovely Briar Rose homeless.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! Poor Blue is going to be singing the blues if his friend's plan doesn't pan out.

    ReplyDelete